There Is Light in the Addition

lights in hall

I have spent most of the past week fighting a cold.  The crew has put in electrical outlets, light fixtures, and exterior door hardware. I found a light that goes into the 22 inch solar tube in my living room, nice idea for night illumination. I had to order a special bulb to get an equivalent to 100w in LED. Since it is 9 feet or so up, I sure want the long life of an LED. The bulbs today are more complicated, but some superior choices to the old incandescent bulbs.

flooring spread to acclimate

The flooring has been ordered and picked up, and was to start to be installed today. Actually need to acclimate to the humidity level in the house for 72 hours, so will start next week. Sub-floors have been scrubbed, in preparation.

closeup of cork flooring

The A/C mini-split units can be mounted on the wall now that plaster and priming coat has been applied. I understand I can run them as heat pumps until the radiators are installed. The radiators in the new dome can be installed soon as flooring is down (although last I heard they had not arrived at the HVAC company). I’m having 2 radiators installed in the original dome, but I will need to move some of the stored items that line the walls.

The powder room will be plaster walls, maybe tile backsplash on the sink, so it will finish fast after the sink and toilet are installed. It will have the same flooring as the hallway, no need for tile.

The master bath has the most work, with tile on floor, tub surround, shower pan, and back wall of the shower, then glass block for the front wall of the shower. Ceiling and the rest of the walls will be painted plaster. The tub will be set into place after the surround is tiled. So far the floor is done except for a few odd-shaped pieces, and the tub surround is partially done, since only half of the vertical surface can be done at a time (gravity pulls the tiles out-of-place). Picture looks messy, but the spacers will soon be out and grout applied. I am very happy with the light neutral tile with the copper glass tiles for accent.

tub surround in progress

One of the final items is to put up sheet rock over the end wall of the hallway that is concrete, used to be the exterior around the front door. The door will be removed and an archway will be finished instead. This will have to be well-timed, as I don’t want the cats out in the way, and the door is what is keeping them in the original part. Plus, that’s still not heated except by space heaters to dry stuff overnight and I don’t want the noise with the door gone until only a small amount of work remains. There is also work to finish around the 2 larger kitchen windows that were installed in May, then paint. Of course, I have to move stuff away from the windows where I’ve been storing sinks and smaller stuff.

There will be things to work on after approval for occupancy – moving my furniture from the small shed into the new space; putting down sheet vinyl on the concrete floor in the old dome, after I move things out and can really scrub the floor; I will be able to set up my large pantry area next to the kitchen and hope to start cooking more, with a freezer to hold stuff; I will have quite a few Ikea items to assemble, but I’m pretty good at that; I have a list of to-dos for the crew, but cannot get to these until I move stuff from the old to new area. Spring will be busy for me.

Advertisements

Tags: , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: