Drier Weather and Progress
The weather started improving – the crew has applied another coat of concrete to the outside of the bath/laundry dome. The interior walls have been framed in and the electrician and plumber have been out. The electrical, for now, has been completed, and plumbing will start next.
The electrician installed the outlets and switches as per the plan, then we discussed what additional I wanted and he suggested. As he said, adding extra is much easier now than later. Since I have been living in a house built in 1940, I certainly realize that. When I moved into that one, I got a surprise when I found no outlets in the bathroom for my hairdryer. They didn’t do gfci outlets then, and had fewer electrical appliances. For the cottage, we even have a coaxial-cable outlet in both living room and bedroom, definitely a newer addition to house wiring.
With the laundry, bathroom, and water heater in one room and the kitchen nearly beside it, plumbing should be relatively simple. The sink cabinet and shelving I bought turned out to require a change in the door opening between the main bath and the side with the water heater and toilet. Originally the vent stack was set into the concrete slab where we now need the doorway – we didn’t know at that time, so a little re-do is now needed.
My kitchen cabinets will be ready in about 2 weeks, but it’ll take another 2 or so to get a solid surface counter with integrated sink. I love not having a line around the sink and really want that option. In order to get me into the house earlier, my foreman said he had a sink at home that he could mount in a plywood counter to pass final inspection. That gets me excited, as it sounds like I may be moved into it in another month.