Another milestone – we passed inspection for the slab. Tomorrow the concrete finisher will be out for the pour, and make my floor nice and smooth.
Today while waiting for the inspector, the crew worked on filling in things – 500 feet of water line and next is the old cistern. Any leftover crushed stone from the cistern fill will help the existing driveway.
For the new, very long driveway, we are looking at a product that will allow us to drive on the grass and not require gravel or paving. It would be better for the environment, allowing water to drain through normally, and would be less expensive. I don’t know yet about lifetime maintenance. It does allow us to mow right over it once the grass grows up through the mesh. http://www.boddingtonsonline.com/products/grass-ground-reinforcement/grass-reinforcement-protection/turfprotecta-turf-reinforcement-mesh.php
You know how old houses always bring surprises during renovations? We found the yard can, too. With all the large trucks we’ve had to the build site, one crushed the top of an old cistern, and now there is a 2 foot diameter opening, with about 6×6 x5 deep concrete block hole. Even though we’d like to have a rainwater cistern, this is not in a safe place for the construction people, and it probably doesn’t hold water any longer. A load of crushed stone will be delivered tomorrow to fill it.
The current schedule is to have the slab preparation ready for inspection on Wednesday, have the cement poured on Thursday and a professional to smooth the surface. So far we’ve had decent weather, but it has chilled this week. We are hoping the storms with hurricane Sandy and the fronts coming from the west will be kind and allow us to get the slab done this week.
I need to head back to check on my other house and vote, pack up more stuff. I think I have found someone to stay in the house this winter, so I won’t need to worry about winter weather travels. She has retired and is selling her condo in another city and needs to start looking in Roanoke, so it will benefit both of us. Great coincidence on timing.
The Building Codes Inspector was out today and approved the footers and plumbing, concrete pour this week. Then we should have the slab next week. I am grinning about this.
Both the plumber and electrician who are subcontracted on the cottage were here today. The plumbing crew jumped right in and fixed up the bathroom for the pipes needed in the concrete slab. The kitchen pipes will run through the wall, so have nothing to show now.
The water line has great pressure after the long distance it travels from the main line. It will be enough to furnish a second home at a future date, and might even handle more. Of course all would be on the same meter, but we could work it out, this is a retirement community of friends, after all.
We have been waiting to hear from the electric company supervisor about what was needed for temporary service during construction, but since discussing it with the electrician, we are changing the plan. Instead, we will run a line from the breaker box in Sharon’s house for the construction period. After that, we will get the electrical line permanently installed to the cottage. It will save money on the cost of the temporary meter and work needed for that, and the electrician approves. He is interested in the idea of a dome, and I am glad to have someone ready to try something different. Not everyone I’ve spoken with is ready for something non-standard. I am happy to have my crew.
Another bit of red tape to untangle – getting the temporary electrical power to the site. The supervisor should be in touch with me on Monday, and I hope we understand each other before the day is out. Government people seem to forget some of us have not been involved in a build and need a bit more instructions as to the next step. I am ready to learn and comply with their rules, but I also need them to understand where the houses will be located and where we want the power line to run (preferably underground if not an outrageous cost).
At least the water is nearly ready. We have had such chilly mornings, the glue has not set as well as hoped, so testing and re-sealing as needed over the 500 feet. It is 2 inch pipe to maintain pressure, but that is not very flexible and comes in shorter lengths.
As you can see in the picture, the crew has the site ready for the concrete contractor to review and approve the footers. We believe we have the electrician and plumber lined up, so things should be moving along now. At least until the next problem.
The picture is a view from the back patio, where the French doors will open into the bedroom. It will be a nice private area away from other houses and just down the hill from the road. Sharon plans to plant screening plants all along the property line on that side, too.